1 cup Basmati rice
3 cups water
3 tbs oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup mixed vegetables, chopped (peas, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes)
2 green chillies, slit
1 tsp garam masala
1 cinnamon stick
1 onion chopped
Ginger, garlic paste
Salt to taste
- Clean and wash rice, leave to soak for 15-20 mins, then drain.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, cinnamon, cloves, ginger & garlic and fry for 3 mins.
- Add vegetables, cashewnuts, garam masala and fry for 3 mins.
- Add rice and fry for 2 mins.
- Add water and bring to boil.
- Add salt then lower the heat. Let the water reduce slightly below the rice level and place a lid on the saucepan and simmer for 15 mins.
- The steam cooks rice so don’t remove cover while it’s cooking. Gently fluff with fork. Serve hot with yoghurt.