500g small round eggplants
200g tomatoes, grated
1/2 cup peas, coarsely ground
3 tbs fresh coconut, grated
2 tbs coriander-cumin powder
1 tbs gram flour
1/2 cup fresh fenugreek, chopped
1/4 cup coriander, chopped
1 tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp mustard & cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbs chilli paste
2 tsp ginger paste
3 tbs oil
1 tbs jaggery
2 tsp salt or to taste
- Mix all ingredients for filling
- Make 2 slits in a cross. Stuff the eggplants with the filling.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add all ingredients for tempering.
- Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add eggplants and top it with ground peas.
- Cook eggplant curry on a very low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until 2 whistles.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with naan.
- The vibrant stuffing has a rich unique flavor, spicy, tangy and nutty with a hint of sweetness and taste good on its own, the kind you’d lick off the plate.